THE PARABLE OF THE TEN VIRGINS
KJV Matthew 25:1-13
1. Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins,
which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
2. And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
3. They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no
oil with them:
4. But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
5. While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and
6. And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom
cometh; go ye out to meet him.
7. Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
8. And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your
oil; for our lamps are gone out.
9. But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be
not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy
10. And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and
they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was
11. Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord,
Lord, open to us.
12. But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I
know you not.
13. Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein
the Son of man cometh.
This parable teaches us about being prepared. We must be ready
when the Lord returns. We must live daily so that when this time
comes we will be ready. In light of the discussion of the destruction
of Jerusalem and then the Second Coming in Matthew 24, Christ continues
his subject line into Matthew 25 giving us insight into the judgment and
warnings. Again re-emphasis is this passage:
KJV Matthew 24:36
36. But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of
heaven, but my Father only.
I. Like A Thief In the Night the Lord Will Come
We know he will come as a thief in the night
KJV 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3
2. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord
so cometh as a thief in the night.
3. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden
destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they
shall not escape.
In that day the world as we know it will end
KJV 2 Peter 3:10
10. But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the
which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements
shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein
shall be burned up.
II. We Must Be People That Are Letting Our Lights Shine, So that We
Will Not be Found Without Our Lamps Trimmed
We are the light of the world
KJV Matthew 5:14-16
14. Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on
an hill cannot be hid.
15. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel,
but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
16. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see
your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Righteousness shines, and will when darkness is removed
KJV Matthew 13:41-43
41. The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they
shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which
42. And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall
be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
43. Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in
the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.
Christians are lights in this dark world
KJV Philippians 2:15-16
15. That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of
God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among
whom ye shine as lights in the world;
16. Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of
Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.
We must walk in light to have fellowship with Christ
KJV 1 John 1:5-7
5. This then is the message which we have heard of him,
and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
6. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk
in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
7. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light,
we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his
Son cleanseth us from all sin.
We are children of light and should walk in the day not night
KJV 1 Thessalonians 5:4-8
4. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day
should overtake you as a thief.
5. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of
the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
6. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us
watch and be sober.
7. For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that
be drunken are drunken in the night.
8. But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate
of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
III. Making ourselves ready
WE must be steadfast standers!
KJV 1 Corinthians 15:55-58
55. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
56. The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin
is the law.
57. But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through
our Lord Jesus Christ.
58. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable,
always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your
labour is not in vain in the Lord.
We must be prepared as the Lord would have us
KJV 2 Timothy 2:19-22
19. Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having
this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that
nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
20. But in a great house there are not only vessels of
gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour,
and some to dishonour.
21. If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall
be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and
prepared unto every good work.
22. Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness,
faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
Noah prepared with faith and complete obedience
KJV Hebrews 11:7
7. By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved
with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he
condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.
We will be blessed if we are found watching
KJV Luke 12:37-38
37. Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh
shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself,
and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them.
37. And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third
watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants.
Conclusion: Will he find you waiting and watching with excitement?
Or will you be trembling and fearful?
Copyright 2001 by Brian
Yeager may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.