JESUS, FRIEND OF SINNERS
INTRODUCTION: "Friendship is the only cement that will hold the world
together." Wouldn't life be miserable without friends. Everyone wants to
think that they have at least one friend. Abraham Lincoln said, "The better
part of one's life consists of his friendships."
Why are friends so important? A friend is one who is your ally in trouble.
He is one to whom you can tell your troubles and deepest secrets, without
fear of having them revealed. He is one who like you because you are you,
and not for what he can get from you. "Your friend is the man who knows
all about you, and still likes you" (Elbert Hubard)
With these facts in mind it is perfectly appropriate to think of Jesus
as our best friend.
I. JESUS WAS A FRIEND TO ALL WHILE ON THE EARTH.
A. Jesus was a friend to Children.
1. Matthew 19:13-15 "Then little children were brought to Him
that He might put His hands on them and pray, but the disciples rebuked
them. 14- But Jesus said, =91Let the little children come to Me, and do
not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.' 15- And He laid
His hands on them and departed from there."
B. Jesus was a friend to the Poor.
2. Used little children as examples of the attitudes necessary for adults
to enter the kingdom.
a. Matthew 18:1-4
1. A proof of his messiahship
C. Jesus was a friend to the Sick.
a. Matthew 11:1-5
2. Emptied himself and became poor in order to save the poor.
a. 2 Corinthians 8:9 - "For you know the grace of our Lord
Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor,
that you through His poverty might become rich."
1. Even when he wanted to rest himself he still found time
for the sick.
D. Jesus was a friend to All Races.
a. Matthew 14:13-14 "When Jesus heard it, He departed from
there by boat to a deserted place by Himself. But when the multitudes heard
it, they followed Him on foot from the cities. 14 - "And when Jesus went
out He saw a great multitude; and He was moved with compassion for them,
and healed their sick."
1. John 4:4-42
2. He wanted to good news about him to be preached to all.
a. Matthew 28:19 - "Go therefore and make disciples of all
the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and
of the Holy Spirit,"
3. Acts 15:9 - "and made no distinction between us and them, purifying
their hearts by faith."
II. IN A VERY SPECIAL WAY JESUS IS A FRIEND TO SINNERS.
A. Jesus laid down his life for Sinners.
III. JESUS CALLS ON US TO BE HIS FRIENDS.
1. Romans 5:6-8 "For when we were still without strength, in
due time Christ died for the ungodly. 7- For scarcely for a righteous man
will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die.
8- But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still
sinners, Christ died for us."
2. John 1:29 - "The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said,
"Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!"
3. 1 Peter 1:18-19 "knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible
things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition
from your fathers, 19- but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb
without blemish and without spot."
B. This was the good news that was Preached to Lost Sinners.
1. Acts 2:38
C. This makes Jesus a friend to all of us, since We are all Sinners.
2. Acts 13:38 - "Therefore let it be known to you, brethren, that through
this Man is preached to you the forgiveness of sins;
3. Romans 1:16
1. Romans 3:9-12 "What then? Are we better than they? Not at
all. For we have previously charged both Jews and Greeks that they are
all under sin. 10- As it is written: "There is none righteous, no, not
one; 11- There is none who understands; There is none who seeks after God.
12- They have all turned aside; They have together become unprofitable;
There is none who does good, no, not one."
2. Romans 3:23 - "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of
3. Isaiah 64:6 - "But we are all like an unclean thing, And all our
righteousnesses are like filthy rags; We all fade as a leaf, And our iniquities,
like the wind, Have taken us away."
4. Jesus loves us all. He is touched with our weaknesses (Hebrews 4:15).
A. How did he show his friendship?
CONCLUSION: Jesus was a "people-person" when He walked among us. He was
"the friend of tax collectors and sinners" (Luke 7:34). He befriended the
alienated, morally down and out people of His day. Will Rogers said, "In
ever met a person I didn't like," but Jesus' life says, "I never met a
sinner I didn't want to befriend." Jesus loved the sinner but hated the
sin. He treated people he came in contact with as individuals of great
worth . He looks at you and sees what you can become, not what you are.
He holds out his hand and says, "Come, accept my friendship and be my friends."
1. John 15:13 - "Greater love has no one than this, than to
lay down one's life for his friends.
B. Jesus calls all men to be his friends.
1. Matthew 11:28-29 "Come to Me, all you who labor and are
heavy laden , and I will give you rest. 29- Take My yoke upon you and learn
from Me , for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for
C. How do we become the friends of Jesus?
2. Mark 16:15-16 and Matthew 28:18-20
a. "Every Creature" and "All Nations."
3. 1 Timothy 2:4 - who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge
of the truth.
1. John 15:14 - "You are My friends if you do whatever I command
D. What does Jesus call on us to do to be our friends?
2. Matthew 7:21- "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter
the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
22- Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied
in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your
name?' 23- And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from
Me, you who practice lawlessness!'"
1. We must believe that he is the Messiah.
a. John 8:24 - "Therefore I said to you that you will die in
your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your
2. Repent (turn away from) our sins.
a. Luke 13:3-5
3. Confess the name of Christ.
a. Matthew 10:32
4. Be baptized into Christ
a. Acts 2:38, 22:16
Copyright 2000 by Grady
Scott may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.