|DURING THE STORMS OF CHANGE:
“Holding Fast Our Confidence!”
Adult Bible Study Fall Quarter 1997
Lesson Nine: "The Tragedy Of The Cultural Change Paradigm"
1. Throughout the past weeks we have discussed a current move-ment that has an agenda to restructure the Lord's Church according to the pressures and dictates of cultural relativity. Its reception is marked by a sarcasm toward authority, rejection of what they arbitrarily term "traditions," and a willingness to be guided by subjectivism. Transparency 9/1
a. Its battle cry -- "Change lest we die! True growth is only possible via these new ways!"
b. Its alluring promise -- "The winds of amazing
c. Its authority base -- A new hermeneutic which
d. Its targeted goal -- "Freedom!" This freedom
is a latitude to
e. Its deceptive positioning -- It takes some issues
1) Authority with in the congregation.
2) Uniqueness of the "one" Church.
3) Worship practices.
4) The plan of salvation.
5) Gender roles.
f. Transparency 9/2 Where will this Cultural Change Paradigm lead? What are the inevitable results?
1) Scriptural authority will be lost.
2) Distinctiveness will fade.
3) God's favor will be with drawn.
4) Utter ruin.
5) Note: These tragic consequences will come even
2. This forecast of doom is not without support. There is historical evidence that such will happen.
a. This tragedy falls under the category of "believing a lie."
b. It is a popular notion that it makes little difference in religion what one believes as long as s/he is sincere and lives by his/ her convictions.
c. This is a damning philosophy. While applying it to religion, no one would dare apply it to other areas of life.
1) No amount of sincere trust in a failing bank would prevent money loss.
2) No amount of sincere trust in an adulterous mate, with deceitful motives, prevents a life filled with misery and trust.
3) The belief of a lie has caused the defeat of many a brave army and the sinking of many gallant ships!
4) It is absurd to utilize a "sincerity only" principle in religion-- it is not harmless!
d. Three Scriptures speak clearly about this error.
1) 2 Thessalonians 2:10-12
2) 1 Kings 12,13
3) Matthew 15:14
4) These reveal the fallacy of believing the popular
3. Contemplate the Truth found in 2 Thessalonians 2:10-12.
a. The "man of lawlessness" (vs 3-10a) persuades
b. This presents somber truths for believers -- an urgent warn- ing!
1) The Choice -- God's Truth was available, yet
2) The Result -- Not salvation but condemnation. Eternal ruin will be their lot (12).
3) The Consequences -- Believing a religious lie is always injur- ious! There is no good in such a practice for it always leads one away from Truth!
4) The Motive -- The reason why this occurred was that they failed to love the Truth. They sought a more pleasurable way and because deluded -- enjoying error instead of Truth.
4. Contemplate the Truth found in 1 Kings 12-13.
a. A young prophet was sent with God's message to
b. The prophet had been given specific commands by God (13:9). There was no misunderstanding about the command.
c. An older prophet heard the story and tricked the young pro- phet into breaking God's Law (13:18-19).
d. The young prophet was sincere and honest yet he believed a lie and was killed (13:24).
e. This incident highlights specific lessons for all who are tempt- ed to forsake God's clear commands. Transparency 9/4
1) Admirable traits cannot excuse obedience. The young prophet had courage (13:2); he was free from ambition (13:7); he was unselfish (13:7b). Yet he was a failure!
2) Religious lies will bring tragedy. Even though he was good/brave, he was lost (13:21,22). There will be many like him on the Judgement Day who are lost because they believed a lie! (Mt 7:13-20).
3) An obligatory commission is urged (Ac 26:18;
4) Note: Ro 15:4 -- This somber account was written to warn all about the tragedy of believing a religious lie!
5. Contemplate the Truth discovered in Matthew 15:14.
a. The context is discussing those who believe religious lies (v. 13). The metaphor is simple and obvious.
b. From this brief verse we learn --
1) Jesus "love" will not overlook the sin of believing a lie in religion. Christ unites with the historian of 1 Ki 12,13 and the Apostle Paul.
2) Jesus confirms that one who believes religious lies will face a tragic fate.
3) Jesus condemns religious ignorance in 2 areas: (1) Those who perpetuate it, v.13; (2) Those who follow it, v. 14.
4) Jesus cautions that the surest way for one to be lost is to follow blindly any religious guide and forsake the Script- ures! One thus spurns 2 Ths 2:15 and becomes "ashamed." One that gullibly accepts teaching and ignores 1 Jn 4:1.
6. Concluding Thoughts
a. Some conclude that "Truth" is unknowable. "There is no way you can know the Truth about everything! Therefore you should not condemn anyone for their beliefs!"
1) This is true regarding opinion but not doctrine! (Jn 17:17).
2) If the belief of a "lie" leads one to sin, contradiction with Scripture, or hinders from obedience to God, it will prove fatal unless forgiven by God.
b. Transparency 9/6 How can we be sure we are not being led by false guides.
1) Allow only the Scriptures to guide us (Ac 17:11).
2) Recognize the Scriptures are all sufficient to direct us to- day (1 Ths 2:13).
3) Realize the tragedy awaiting those who place Scripture as a subordinate authority in religion (Gal 1:8).
c. Transparency 9/7 The Cultural Change Paradigm urges all to pursue a course that is absurd and which is condemned in 2 Ths 2:10-12; 1 Ki 12-13; Mt 15:14.
1) Sincerity is NOT enough!
2) Scripture is applicable and binding!
3) Conformity to Truth is essential!
4) Eternal damnation awaits all who refuse to follow
Its Battle Cry!
Its Alluring Promises!
Its Authority Base!
Its Targeted Goal!
Its Deceptive Positioning!
Scriptural Authority surrendered!
God’s favor lost!
Utter ruin awaits!
2 Thessalonians 2:10-12
1 Kings 12, 13
2 Thessalonians 2:10-12
Expose Of Cultural
1 Kings 12, 13
Admirable traits CANNOT excuse!
Religious lies WILL bring tragedy!
Obligation to obey is URGENT!
From this text Jesus teaches . . .
He will not overlook error!
Tragedy results from following religious lies!
Ignorance is no excuse!
Decision making is serious!
Sincerity IS NOT enough!
Scripture is applicable and binging on modern man!
Conformity to the Truth is essential to salvation!
Damnation awaits all who rebel against God’s directions!
Realize the tragedy of
Copyright 1999 by John L. Kachelman Jr. may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.